Electrical Repair to Fix Electrical Mistakes in Manassas, VA Homes
Back to Articles
For whatever reason, you might have some wiring problems within your home in Manassas, VA which potentially could lead to shocks, short circuits and possibly fires. Some of these electrical mistakes that could be in your Manassas, VA home that might need an electrical repair are:
- If you have an outside light in Manassas, VA that is connected to wires that are outside of an electrical box, a simple electrical repair can fix this. Install an electrical box and reconnect the wires inside the box.
- Your electrical boxes should all be flush to your wall surface if the wall surface is combustible material. If your boxes are recessed behind a combustible material such as wood, this could present a fire hazard when the wood is left uncovered to possible heat and sparks. This electrical repair at your Manassas, VA home is relatively simple. Simply install a metal or plastic box extension. Make sure you connect the metal extension to the ground wire in the box if you use a metal box extension.
- Do any of your electrical boxes look too stuffed? Overstuffing an electrical box at your Manassas, VA home can be dangerous. This can cause overheating, short-circuiting, and fires. The National Electrical Code specifies minimum electrical box sizes to lessen this danger. The only electrical repair you will need to do is install a larger box.
How to Determine Box Size?
Each item counts as one
- Hot wire and neutral wire entering the box
- All ground wires combined
- All cable clamps combined
Counts as two
- Each device, switch or outlet
Multiply the total number of items by 2.00 for 14-gauge wire, 2.25 for 12-gauge wire. This will give you the minimum box size required in cu. in. Choose a box with at least this much volume. Plastic boxes will have the volume stamped inside, on the back. Steel boxes are listed in electrical code. They won’t be labeled. Measure the height, width and depth of the interior. Multiply to find the volume.
If you are a do-it-yourselfer, more than likely most of these electrical repairs you can fix yourself. If you are one of those homeowners in Manassas, VA who are skeptical with anything electrical, call a certified and licensed electrician for all your electrical repair needs for your home.