Safety Measures to Take for an Electric installation in Manassas, VA Home

  Back to Articles

Often, many homeowners in Manassas, VA take it upon themselves to try and tackle jobs around the house, some of which they know very little about, such as electric installations, and later live to regret it. Electricity is extremely dangerous, so it is highly recommended to always have a qualified electrician to help you with your electric installation project at your home in Manassas, VA.

There is always risk involved when doing any electric installation such as connecting any type of wire or wire system at your home in Manassas, VA. These risks include harming yourself, another family member, or quite possibly, the loss of your property.

Some safety measures you should take when doing electric installations at your Manassas, VA home include—

Wear Safety Glasses

Sparks can fly, or pieces of spliced wires can fly into your eye; hence, covering up your eyes with safety glasses is a must when dealing with electricity.

Be Sure the Power is Off

Be sure the check to see if the breaker is off in the breaker box. Tag it so that no one else will come along and turn it back on. Even though you may turn a switch off on the wall, for any electric installation such as a ceiling fan or light, that is not enough.

Always Test Electric First to Be Safe

Before you start working, always test the wires and connections with a voltage tester to make sure wires are dead.

Have the Electrical Right Tools at Hand

Any project you do at your home in Manassas, VA needs the correct tools to complete the job properly. Having the right tools such as voltage tester, wire cutters, needle nose pliers, wire and cable strippers and a few others for an electric installation is a must for safety.

Always Check Your Work When Complete

Always go back and check your work after you complete the job. Before closing up the hole or thinking you are finished, check to make sure you have no loose connections, or the whole thing could go up in smoke. Sparks can cause substantial damage to homes in Manassas, VA if an electric installation is not done correctly.